So while the waiting game for immigration stretches longer and longer, I have found myself a job. Actually, the job found me. A friend in the ward had been watching a couple of her neighbors, but with her work situation changing, she suggested me to step in. Considering they live just across the street, it works out quite nicely.
Adina is almost six, and is in kindergarten. Her brother, Masood, is nine. On most days I will be picking up Adina from school, meeting Masood at the bus stop, and watching them for an hour or two until their mom gets home from school herself. And then, on no school days, I get to hang out for a lot longer. Friday was my first day of this new arrangement; no school for Adina, and a half day for Masood.
I came by around 8 in the morning, got a general orientation, and then dad left for work. Adina had a quick breakfast, and then the fun began. First we colored. She got quite upset that my pineapple looked better than her pineapple, and went and pouted in her room. I calmed her down, and we read books together. Then she wanted me to braid her hair. I suggested we turn on a movie while I do it, but she wanted music instead. Christmas music. So instead of doing hair, we danced ballet in the living room. She was very impressed that I "knew all the steps" to the music. After some light stretching I finally got around to braiding her hair. Lunch, more coloring, and big brother got home shortly thereafter. He immediately told me all about his video games, and how awesome his avatar game is. He asked to play it. Adina played around on the computer a bit, and then they both wanted to watch a movie. Masood watched Labyrinth while Adina's friend came over and they giggled upstairs. Mom showed up at 4, and day one was over.
This morning the parents had to leave early - they are taking their citizenship exam today. (They are originally from Russia.) That meant 7 o'clock for me. I'm not usually up that early on any day, but adding onto that the daylight savings, and I'm all sorts of sleepy. I walked Masood to his bus stop, and now I'm working on this while I wait for Adina to wake up, since she doesn't have school again today. I brought over some games for us to play today (Candy Land, Chutes and Ladders, Disney Yahtzee) and we can always do more ballet.
1 comment:
Sounds like you're having a fun time.
Post a Comment