I got a Christmas card in the mail from my sister, Emily, and she included some of her Christmas memories. What a fabulous idea! I need to start doing that in my Christmas cards. But since the cards were mailed on December 1st, it's too late for that this year, so why not do it here?
I remember Christmas caroling. Piling in and out of the van, or several cars, singing songs for friends and neighbors. We'd always visit the Hubers, Packards, Belnaps, Dicksons, Albertsons and George. We'd give them paper plates filled with homemade cookies (chocolate chip, sugar, peanut butter, fudge), covered with tinfoil and a little bow. Anyone else remember the house around the corner from the church that always went crazy with the lights?
I remember acting out the Nativity on Christmas Eve. I have a very brief memory of when I was very small, being scared of the sheep. And another memory when I was a little older acting it out at the Albertson's and Larry was the donkey. We always used our homemade costumes, made from old sheets(?). We would read from the scriptures, and sing songs. And sometimes we would giggle a whole bunch as the shepherds watched over their flocks.
I remember decorating the tree, usually the day after Thanksgiving. Wrapping ourselves in the garland and wearing candles on our heads. Dancing to the music. Fighting over who would put the angel on the tree. Setting out the nativity set, organizing the Christmas village, hanging the stockings and putting the sticker scenes all over the windows.
I remember visiting Santa. But not at the mall or any store. Sometimes at church parties, but usually at the Forester's Christmas party. We would get those red mesh stockings with candy and nuts and an orange in the toe. One year I got a "cartoon maker" and Nathan made up a song about it.
I remember visiting family. Not every year, but we went to California several times. We got to take pictures on the stairs of all of us in our pajamas. (Or at least all of the girls.) Trina gave me an IOU for some art supplies, but wrapped it in layers and layers of paper, so I had lots to unwrap. I remember only a few years ago (2007) being in California with Eric and Laurel and Tawnia, and we drove to Disneyland and went window-shopping in all the stores outside the gates.
I remember pumpkin pie. And turkey dinners on Christmas Eve.
I remember staying up late. Mom and Dad would hang a curtain across the end of the hall so we wouldn't peak. But I would peak anyway. And then when we were older we'd all sleep out in the living room with the tree lights on. One year Trina and I went into the office and read scriptures - and surprised the parents by taking a picture of them filling the stockings. And then in the morning we'd all meet down in Mom and Dad's room while Dad would get the camera set up and the music turned on (usually Mannheim Steamroller). We'd start with the stockings and then move onto the presents. When we were older we'd stop and have breakfast in between, so the morning would last longer.
I remember being so excited to give presents. One year I bought candy bars for everyone in September or October and hid them in the back of the freezer, because I was worried they would melt or go bad.
I remember Mom and Dad numbering our presents in code. But Eric and Jared would always figure it out and know what they were getting anyway.
I remember singing in church, in the choir. One year Trina, Tawnia and I sang "Angels We Have Heard on High" in several different wards. And ward Christmas parties - especially the one when the gym wasn't finished, and they built a stable inside. "Picture a Christmas" always make me think of that year.
I remember a very special Christmas Eve, six years ago, when Aaron asked me to marry him. He hid the ring box in the tree by the angel. The next Christmas was spent in anticipation for our wedding four days later.
Christmas morning 2013
Some of the nursery singing at our ward Christmas party, just last week.
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing that, Mindy! Made me reminisce about some of those things i was there for, too, over the 9 or so years being involved in everything down there in beautiful Oregon. Eleven years ago today, Nathan proposed to me!
Post a Comment