This post is going to be a long one! To sum it all up, watch this quick video.
Otherwise get ready for a LOT of pictures. I narrowed it down from over 500.
The trip started with just me and girls, flying across the country from Calgary to Toronto. MaryAnn slept, Aria played, it was all great. And then our connecting flight was delayed two hours. We spent our layover talking to a sister missionary on her way home who needed a hug, so the time passed quickly for us. To make it more exciting, during the descent into Boston, Aria threw up. We were very happy to arrive at our destination: Trina!
We started off the fun by going swimming! What a perfect family pool - the kiddie pool was huge, but only got to three feet deep, which was perfect for Aria. It was MaryAnn's first time in the water, and she sure loved to splash! We went swimming at least half a dozen times. Aria got very confident in the water, jumping from the edge, dunking her face, AND she learned how to float!
DR. SEUSS MUSEUM
We spent a day in Massachusetts at a really cool museum complex - there's four or five museums to explore for only one admission. And the star of the show: The Dr Seuss Museum!
There were statues, books, crafts, and games. We even got to meet the Cat in the Hat himself! Obviously this section was very kid-friendly, but there were childrens areas in most of the other buildings as well. Lots of things to help them play, read, dress-up, imagine, build, discover, explore and learn. I wish there were more places like this closer to home!
QUILTS AND PAINT
I'm honestly not sure what Aria did all the time we were there, because she was not constantly under my feet! She had people to play with, and a yard to play in, and new toys to keep her distracted for hours and hours. It was ah.maz.ing. I could DO things! Things I wanted to do! I sewed! I quilted! I painted! I sorted through fabric! All (mostly) uninterrupted! I wish I could do this every summer!!
I was able to almost finish my White Discovery Quilt.
Trina did lots of sewing and slicing on my Jelly Dot Quilt.
And we started our first joint project, the Woven Star Quilt.
And as a bonus project, I painted Trina's stairs!
HILL CUMORAH PAGEANT
Trina, Adam and I loaded up all seven kids and took a five-hour drive to upstate New York. Dad, you need cruise control in your car. We set up a tent then had ice cream with Grandma, Grandpa and Tawnia. We visited the historic site where the Book of Mormon was published before staying up late to watch the Hill Cumorah Pageant. It was so much fun searching the stage trying to find them!

Tawnia was a harvest worker and in the tableau tribe.
Grandma was a King Noah citizen and was so easy to spot!
It was weird seeing Grandpa with a beard, but he needed it
to be a Jerusalem citizen and a Restoration Man.
We got back to our campsite after 11pm, so it wasn't really camping,
but Aria was still very excited to be sleeping in a tent.
The next day we climbed the Hill Cumorah (multiple times for Adam),
visited the Smith family farm and hung out in the Sacred Grove.
FAMILY REUNION
Aria and Josie. Aren't they cute? Moments before more family was due to arrive we realized they were missing. I found them in the bathroom, where they had flooded the floor and painted the walls (and themselves) with toothpaste. Aria said that she wanted to play a joke. Not funny, kid. (And the night before we flew out they found some ink pads. Their faces and hands were bright orange.)
Anyway, FAMILY! Yay! Six out of the eight siblings along with their spouses and children. It was amazingly fun. We manage it every three years, but that doesn't feel often enough. If only we hadn't spread ourselves from coast to coast.
| 6 of 8 children |
| 13 out of 16 grandchildren present (not all pictured) |
As soon as Grandma and Grandpa arrived they opened their mission call.
They are headed off to Nova Scotia, Canada!
Aaron was in charge of the food. He put in a lot of work.
At least he was rewarded with multiple trips to the Spice Mill!
Hair day! French braids for girls and boys. Pigtails for Grandpa.
Laurel and I dyed our hair, just because.
SUCH an awesome city playground! We all had a ton of fun there.
Katie, I don't think that's how you play at the park..
I had a birthday! And it was the worst birthday song I've ever heard.
The ice cream treats afterwards made up for it though.
A friend of Trina's let us make use of their amazing backyard and pool one evening.
Swimming, splashing, water ballet, barbecue and bocce ball. (Go watch the video at the top.)
MaryAnn started eating solids, got the hang of rolling over,
and took baths in the best kitchen sink I have ever seen.
(And I don't say that just because I win Nertz all the time.)
We did a session at the Hartford temple.
We took this picture in July 2013
so four years later we took another!
And the most recent batch of babies.
Happy 5th Birthday to Aria! So fun to celebrate it with cousins.
ERIC CARLE MUSEUM OF PICTURE BOOK ART
Most of the family left, but that didn't mean the fun had to end! Another drive to Massachusetts, this time for the Eric Carle Museum. There were crafts, displays, fun tattoos and story time in the library. Yes, Eric Carle writes and illustrates children's books, but that doesn't make this a museum specifically for children. I loved looking at all the art! It was beautiful and inspiring. For my souvenir I bought some fabric!
THE BEACH
I grew up about an hour from the ocean. So waiting four YEARS between visits to the beach was tough. It was wonderful! Technically it was the Long Island Sound, and not the ocean, but close enough. Aaron and Aria have made it to both coasts now.
We found shells and lots of pretty rocks, waded into the calm water, dug in the sand and took naps.
GOING HOME
After three weeks of visiting and fun, it was sadly time to go home. We just didn't expect the journey to take 32 hours! Thunderstorms in Toronto meant sitting on the airplane in Boston for an extra three hours before take off. Of course we missed our connection, so after waiting in multiple lines for several hours we ended up in a hotel for the night. At least our view of Lake Ontario was nice!
Thank you Trina and family for hosting us all!
I know it was a lot of work, but you pulled it off well. And your backyard is amazing.


1 comment:
What a great trip! I hadn't watched this video or seen these pictures. Somehow I missed this. So cool. I love you and your family!!!
Post a Comment