Better late than never - Cupcake turned 6! Last July!
She requested a book party so we held it at the public library (for free!).
Our invitations were basically mini books,
and we suggested everyone wear a shirt you could read.
For decor I made a garland out of a book that had been left outside in the rain.
And the rest of the decor was .. the library. So books. And balloons.
book one: Moira's Birthday by Robert Munsch
The children sat in a circle with a wrapped gift.
Every time I read a number the package was passed to the next person.
Whoever held it at the end of the story got to open it.
(It was gel pens which they got to use in the next activity.)
book two: Birthday Monsters by Sandra Boynton
We made origami bookmarks shaped like monsters!
There ended up being 17 children there (lots of siblings),
and lots of them struggled with even basic paper folding.
For next time: older children or more adults to help.
book three: I'm Invited to a Party by Mo Willems
Cupcake read Piggie and I was Gerald. And we dressed up for a party.
book four: I Can Read with my Eyes Shut by Dr. Seuss
So we all got blindfolded and pinned the book to the shelf.
The goal was to get our rectangles into white space,
but books ended up all over the place, of course.
book five: Snappy Birthday by Mark Sperring
and then (gummy) bookworm cupcakes.
Other food was juice boxes, apples, yogurt and the cutest
tortilla books filled with meat and cheese.
Impossible to get a picture, but they were awesome.
Cut out strips of tortilla to be the cover and
fold in half around the meat and cheese to be the pages.
book we ran out of time for: If You Give a Pig a Party by Laura Numeroff
I made my own Mad Libs, themed after the book, so we could write our own story.
It was too loud and the kids just wanted to play, so it didn't happen.
But if you want, here's a blank set for you!
And lastly, I sent the kids home with favor bags filled with:
gummy worms, Alphabits cereal, a balloon, (fake) reading glasses, and a bookmark to color.



2 comments:
What an awesome party. So fun!
Cute party!Way to go!- Amber
Post a Comment