Wednesday, May 4, 2011

moving forward

Last month we got word that our wait was coming to an end. And on Thursday, April 28th we headed down town and had a brief interview, and within 10 minutes I had my residency. The job hunting can begin, but there's still a bit of wait before we can head down to Oregon. We have to wait (some more) for the actual PR card to come in the mail before I can get my SIN number. Aaron needs that number to submit his taxes, so we can have the money to travel. That, and I'm not supposed to travel without that card. They say it'll be here within six weeks, but we're hoping it won't take that long at all.

So job hunting. I spent Friday working on a resume, but then the weekend was busy with everything, so my job hunting was delayed until Tuesday. I put in applications to eight different places that I found online. Today I took resumes to five other stores. When I got home, I had two interviews.

Tomorrow morning I meet with Zach at Belfast Elementary school where they need child care workers. I'm not sure if I'll take this job, because it was only after I talked to him on the phone that I found out where this job is located. Not terribly far, but further than everything else I'm applying for. Depends on the hours and the pay.

And then tomorrow afternoon (after I help out a friend by watching her kids) I head over to Old Navy. I had dropped off a resume, and they said I had to fill out an application online before they could call me. I left the store and headed home, and walked in the door to the phone ringing. There was Old Navy calling me already! Aside from customer service people, they're looking for a logistics manager - someone to deal with shipments. I have a little bit of experience with that from Payless, so we'll see what happens with that. It'd mean some early mornings, but then I would definitely be home when Aaron is.

And I haven't even been job hunting for 48 hours yet. We'll see what else comes down the pipe! I'm hoping I get the right job - just because Old Navy called first doesn't mean I should go with them, but who knows if anyone else WILL call. Everyone that I talked to (Bath and Body Works, Payless, Discovery Hut, etc) was very positive when they looked over my resume. Makes me feel good.

Now time to work on a drawing for a friend that she needs done for Mother's Day. If I'm possibly starting work soon I better get this done right away!

No comments: