Not so much a baby story as a trying to make a baby story, but it is what is going on in my life right now, and it's my blog.
End of August 2010: After being married for eight months, Aaron and I decided it was time for me to go off birth control. Time to let the possibility of babies start.
Mid-October: My first period was 10 days late, so my hopes got up, but nothing. No worries. It would have been pretty amazing to get pregnant that fast anyway.
December: My sister lets me know that she might "cut in line" and have the next baby because she's going to try for baby number four. A girl I visit at church announces she's pregnant with her first. Three other friends are pregnant, and I find out my cousin is as well.
End of January 2011: After months of waiting and wondering, I finally get another period.
February: My sister announces she's pregnant. I'm happy for her! A little jealous that it happened so quickly for her, but I love my sister and all of her girls.
April: Aaron's cousin announces she's pregnant. Oops! Why can people accidentally get what I can't have and so desperately want?? Not impressed. Around this time I go to a walk-in clinic and ask the doctor what is going on. He says that because I haven't been trying to get pregnant for a year, there's nothing he can do. And because my period is late by only a couple of months, it must just be stress. I sign up to be contacted when a family doctor is looking for new patients.
July: After months of no period and lots of negative pregnancy tests, I go back to the walk-in. A period missing for six months and trying to get pregnant for a year without results is now something to look further into. He orders a pelvic ultrasound and lots of blood work. The very next day a family doctor calls to set up a meet and greet appointment. Aaron and I go in that weekend and meet the doctor - he happens to have 15 years of experience in gynecology. The timing couldn't be better!! I get results back with the possible diagnosis of poly-cystic ovaries. It means that my ovaries are filled with little cysts which prevents them from releasing eggs. To sum up: I'm not ovulating. So more blood work.
August: I go back to the doctor to go over the test results. Blood work is all normal, but because the ultrasound was positive (enlarged ovaries) and I have the symptoms (lack of period), the doctor says we'll stick with the diagnosis. But of course he won't prescribe any medication until they test Aaron. No point in putting me on potentially dangerous medication to get me to ovulate if Aaron is unable to get me pregnant. So I make a phone call to book an appointment at the Diagnostic Semen Lab. The next available appointment is October 26, exactly two months away. Ugh. Oh yes, and after exactly six months, I finally got my period again.
So lots of waiting. At least we know what's going with me, and we know there are solutions to this problem, but still frustrating. I am happy to be working, being busy and being a financial contributor in the marriage. And having a job will allow me to get some maternity leave too. But I long to have babies and start a family.
4 comments:
I know how hard it was for me when I was going through the same kind of issues! I'm glad that you are making progress even if it's slow going. Try to relax about the issue and not worry about it while you are waiting for Aaron's apt. Try to think of this as your chance to be spontaneous and go camping or whatever on the weekends...you won't have that for a while after you do have the sweet baby that is waiting for you too in your arms.
Not to make matters worse, but it was 2 cousins in April (Jen and Camille) and now Kyli too. Yaaaaayy...
Almost to that appointment, Mindy! Love you - this sounds so amazingly stressful. It is so terrible to me that so many couples who would be exceptional parents and have so much love to give - would not be able to get pregnant. There are many success stories, though - some try many fertility things and then get pregnant on nothing...some have no problem getting pregnant again after the first pregnancy...it must be really hard not knowing what the Lord has planned for you, but He loves you and will take care of you always. Let us know what happens...I haven't checked blogs in months, so I'm not sure I will see it if you post it on here...at least not for awhile, but I definitely want to hear how the appointment goes. Send me a fb message or email if you get a chance. Love you guys!
Post a Comment