Wednesday, January 25, 2012

200 days until Baby Sebastian arrives

13 Dec - Come home from a long day of work and randomly decide to take a pregnancy test.  I had been feeling slightly under the weather and was curious if I was just getting sick, or if it was something that was going to be sticking around.  After so many months and so many negative tests, I was completely and utterly stunned to see that second line on the pregnancy test.  We had received a prescription from the doctor two weeks before, to use when I got my next period, but that wasn't going to be needed. 

I hated to tell Aaron over the phone, but I was just too overwhelmed to wait.  I told him that the medication wasn't needed, and Aaron got such a dazed look on his face, his coworker was a bit worried.  After sharing the news though, he completely understood.

Mom was the first person to get called.  She screamed so loud that Emily heard her from the other end of the house.  When I talked to Tawnia, she said, "I knew something magical was going to happen today. Around 4 o'clock this afternoon I just had a random thought of 'something magical is going to happen today' and I was wondering what I earth it would be. And then you called!"  I like the idea that my baby is something magical.

29 Dec - Happy 2nd Anniversary to us!  And with the anniversary comes the first ultrasound appointment.  Because of our struggle to get pregnant, and the way my body was messed up, I had no idea how far along I actually was.  The doctor sent me for an ultrasound to get a due date.  I was absolutely terrified that there would be no heartbeat and that I would have a miscarriage, so I was incredibly relieved to be told that the smudge on the screen had a heartbeat of 190 bpm.  I didn't care that there wasn't much to see yet, just that something was there.  Measurements put me at about 7.5 weeks pregnant at that point, with an estimated due date of August 12, 2012.  (Lots of twelves for the twelfth grandbaby for my parents!)

Aaron was slightly disappointed that there weren't two babies inside.  His only other comment was that he'd better not miss any ball games.  And if he does, he'll just have to deal with it.  I think he'll be too excited to care.  (And I guarantee his teammates will forgive him.)

11 Jan - Another doctor appointment.  Get weighed, pee in a cup, fill out some paperwork.  Lots of requisitions for getting blood tests and another ultrasound. 

I'm incredibly grateful that I don't ever throw up.  That queasy feeling is always there, but nothing worse.  Food doesn't sound good, unless I'm craving something in particular.  But the worst part is always being so tired.  I feel like I could sleep 12 hours a night and still take an afternoon nap (which is exactly what I do sometimes).  No energy, no motivation.  Growing a baby is exhausting.  No super strange cravings yet.  Pizza, pumpkin pie, cottage cheese, hamburger (with extra pickles), meatball sub, macaroni and cheese.  As soon as I have a serving, I'm satisfied, and go back to not liking food again.

23 Jan - Time for a second ultrasound, just to make sure everything is growing as it should.  The tech was struggling to get clear pictures of the hands and feet until she finally turned the screen so I could see.  Then Baby was in a perfect profile.  Looked like a real live baby in there, this time.  I could see the big head, with a cute little nose, and ear.  Baby would wave at me with perfect tiny hands and jump Jump JUMP with two little legs and feet.  Jumping over and over again, like the rhythm of hiccups.  It was the most magical feeling ever. 


Back to the doctor next week to get the results of all the tests.  If everything is well, I'll get another requisition for an ultrasound at 18 weeks (March 12th-ish) and then be sent off to a low-risk maternity clinic.  Sounds good to me.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I went to the maternity clinic with both Benji and Joshua. It's wonderful to watch them grow month by month, especially when you're a first time mother. Congratulations! Can't wait to hear the sex.

Anonymous said...

Baby Sebastian? Are you seriously going to name that poor kid Sebastian Sebastian? DON'T DO IT MINDY!!!

treen said...

Hmmm ... no throwing up but no appetite at all, nausea unless you eat, and total and complete exhaustion no matter how much you sleep. Yep! A Palmer sister pregnancy to the letter! I've had little twists and turns to make each of my pregnancies unique, but that's the general rule for me.

If you continue to follow my pattern, look for a surge of energy at about week 14 when you'll feel totally normal. With Summer, I felt SO normal and back to my regular energy level that I wondered if I was still pregnant. It was right when my regular clothes stopped fitting and I had to switch to maternity clothes, so yes, I was definitely still pregnant.

Hooray hooray hooray! I'm so excited for you! And I loved how you told me - "I'm working on a project." HA!

Emily said...

Oh, it sounds like little Canadian Jumping Bean is so excited to come to the family. I'm thrilled for you and Aaron.

And my comment when I heard Mom was, "Did I just overhear what I thought I overheard?"