Thursday, April 12, 2012
the egg experiment
A simple experiment: instead of only dying the egg shells, crack them and let the dye seep through to give the egg whites a cool marble effect. Considering we wanted to eat the eggs afterwards, we couldn't dye them in hot water, so we had to do a longer soak in the cold. It looked like a science experiment in our fridge.
We pulled them out the next morning, after I got home from work. The shells were incredibly bright, but as I peeled them, my fingers got covered with excess dye. At least they washed off easily.
And finally, the rather disappointing finale. We didn't crack the eggs enough. Although the dye made it through the shell, it mostly ended up on the thin white layer underneath. The actual egg whites just got hints and tints of color instead of the dramatic marbling we expected. I'm not sure what else we could have done, but at least there was some result. Aaron used them to make deviled eggs, and they were incredibly delicious, bold color or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Emily died our eggs on Saturday night and I wanted the whites died too, so in the morning I pealed the eggs and put them in the die for a short time. We had colorful eggs in our potato salad. It didn't flavor them at
all, either.
Post a Comment