Friday, January 11, 2013

Aria's New Year

Aria must have made some goals for herself, because these first few days of the new year have been very productive. 
  • She's getting the hang of eating.  For now it's just one small meal in the evenings, but I'm hoping that by adding a lunch snack too she'll go back to napping better. 
  • She's rolling over!  She rolled from front to back a handful of times back in November, and then nothing for weeks.  Suddenly she is rolling from back to front repeatedly, but still not front to back.  I get the feeling she'll be moving all over the place very soon.
  • She reaches for everything.  She loves to grab at hair, glasses, Daddy's nose, and whatever is on the table.  Trying to hold her while playing boardgames has become increasingly difficult.
  • She says "Mama."  As you can see in the video it is only when she's sad, but it sounds so adorable that I don't mind.  My Mom says that I was the same way, so soon she'll be saying "Dada" when she's happy. 
 
And in related news, I've started making my own baby food.  She won't be ready for it for a few more weeks since I'm not planning on starting her on anything beyond the rice cereal until after her six month birthday.  I like making a little at a time so I don't have to use all my ice cube trays at once.  So far I've done a batch of sweet potato (super easy in the oven), and carrots.  I've got plans for asparagus (since we have some), pumpkin, peas, and green beans.  I'm hoping to do some butternut squash at some point, and then get started on fruits.  Any suggestions on other foods I should make?

2 comments:

treen said...

Good luck with keeping that board game thing going for much longer. Adam and I played a lot of board games Before Kids too. We haven't since Summer hit 6 or 8 months old unless it's in the middle of the night when the girls are asleep.

You don't HAVE to wait until she's 6 months old to feed her things besides cereal. Sure, you add one meal at a time and just a little bit at a time but - total eye roll - all the paranoia about waiting for certain age benchmarks. Stupid. Every kid is different. If she's ready to eat now, FEED HER. You're the judge of that, not some "guidelines" book even if you did get it from the doctor.

For food, don't worry about the "don't feed them fruit until you've given them veggies first because fruit is sweet." Meh. I worried about that at first and I think it's a crock. You want sweet? Carrots! And SWEET potatoes! Go ahead with pears, bananas, apples, peeled grapes, pasta, eggs ... whatever you eat and whatever you want and have available. All of our kids had melon as one of their first foods because Adam eats it a lot. Aria will get the point across if she's not ready for something or you didn't mash it up enough or whatever.

We do wait until 11-12 months old to give them whole milk instead of formula, but we give them cheese before we're "supposed" to. No one has ever reacted poorly to dairy - in fact, I wish they would eat LESS cheese. It's expensive and we go through 2-3 pounds of it PER WEEK.

A thought about apples - just buy regular "adult" applesauce. If it's too chunky for her, run it through the blender with some extra water, but don't break your back making applesauce. It's not worth it. I get the unsweetened, because it's just apples and no extra sugar, and add a teeny bit of cinnamon.

And there's your big sister with 5 kids advice for the day, and I even typed this with Jenna and Tenley climbing all over me. I'm such a multi-tasker.

Adam and Amber said...

I think I have the worlds best eater.( EllieJane is 2 and will eat onions! and Salad!) I would just give her what your eating in the baby mesh thing.