Aria tried skating once, when she was about two years old, and she hated it. But when my friend Sherry invited us to go skating again this year, we figured it would be time to try it again. And now Aria loves it! There is a skating rink right next to our house that offers parent and tot open skating twice a week, so we've been doing it quite regularly since early October.
Daddy even got to go skating with us on Remembrance Day, since he had the day off from work. He grew up ice-skating, but hadn't been for years. Thankfully his skates still fit, even if they were a bit tight, and he took to the ice like he never left. Hopefully there will be plenty more opportunities for Daddy to join on the ice since I am not an ice-skater and will not be able to learn in the near future.
Aria is definitely a cautious girl. She hates to fall down, so she takes her time and relies on the skating frame (or my friends) for help. She has now started to willingly let go of the frame (like when someone handed her a hockey stick) more often, but still moves slowly. Last time we went she could skate half way across the rink without holding on, but still spends most of her time on the frame. And that is okay. She is learning so much!
Having grown up in a non-skating area, this is totally new territory for me. I'm so grateful for my friend Sherry, along with Melodie and Sabrina, who have been able to be out on the ice with Aria. We borrowed skates at first, but when I found pretty figure skates at the thrift store for less than $10, I couldn't pass them up (it was surreal, but now I feel like a real Canadian mom). Aria is so proud of herself when she skates without holding on to anything, and I'm proud of her too. Looking forward to more skating adventures in the future.

2 comments:
Who needs a hockey stick when you have a frame. She is doing great. If she keeps this up she'll be a pro in a couple of years. Will she prefer hockey or figure skating?
So cute! My poor kids don't skate because I can't do it. Great to start her young.
Post a Comment