This was the 20th of January. One month left until the due date!
Aria threw a "baby shower" with toys surrounding her doll in the baby bathtub.
And this was four days later, surprise!
The only concern during the entire pregnancy was some borderline high blood pressure. It gradually got worse. Monday morning (three days after the original picture was taken) I got a phone call to go into the hospital because my bloodwork was concerning. I was told I would either have the baby that day or in a week. Aaron's response was, "Are those the only options??" So I hurried and got bags packed for myself and Aria, sent Aaron off to work, Aria off with friends, and went to the hospital.
Five hours after arriving and a bunch of tests later, it was determined that yes, it was best I stay and have the baby, even though it was four weeks early. So I was induced that evening. They kept a close eye on me and baby (who kept moving away from the heart monitor), and eventually broke my water to help things progress. At one o'clock in the morning I got my (incredibly painful) epidural and some sleep.
I went from four centimeters dilated to the full 10 in an hour and started pushing at 5am. My epidural was very strong at that point, so I could barely tell if I was pushing correctly, but at 5:26 am we had our baby girl.
MaryAnn Evelyn
5lbs 10oz - 18 3/4 inches
Our very first visitor was big sister. She was so excited to meet her sister and find our her name! Aria had originally picked out Layla, then Rosie or Flower. At one point it was Munchkin Layla Rosie Flower Baby-Sheepy Skyla Skye Ranma Wonder-Beauty Star! The last month was nothing but Elsa. But we chose MaryAnn, and she was okay with that.
An original happy birthday song for baby sister.
We had to stay in the hospital for a few days - keeping an eye on my blood pressure and platelet levels, and checking MaryAnn's blood sugar and jaundice levels. She did end up needing a night of light therapy, which she did not enjoy, but obviously it was for the best. I was happy to get a few other visitors to keep me from going crazy (thank you Grandpa, Wanda, Jaden, Melinda and Ashley), but we did finally get to go home on Thursday.
Aria loves her baby sister. She talks to her in a high squeaky voice, and gives her lots of hugs and kisses. I'm struggling a bit balancing out attention for both of them, but Aria has been very patient and understanding. There will be a need for regular play dates and outings though, because Aria has more energy than I can keep up with!
She's so small she can wear Mr. Potato Head glasses!
My mother came to help for a couple of weeks, and she really was a big help! I had forgotten how time-consuming newborns are and she helped smooth the transition from one kid to two. MaryAnn eats slowly and frequently and it is hard to find the energy to cook and clean when I haven't gotten a decent night sleep. She took good care of me and my girls and I'm happy to have her and Dad visit next month when MaryAnn is blessed.
MaryAnn Evelyn was named after her grandmothers, Evelyn and Anna-Mae
and her great grandmother (Aaron's Dad's Mom) Mary Alice.
She is a good baby, really. For this first month she rarely cries for more than a moment. Now, at a month, she only cries when hungry (she is impatient) or needs a diaper change. I'm up to feed her multiple times each night, and her longest sleep (from beginning to eat to the next) is four and a half hours. She is definitely smaller than Aria was, since she still fits into newborn size clothes! (I was going to take her to get weighed but it was snowing, and it is very easy to make excuses lately!)
Laying on the quilt I made for her.
I've been working on a dress (plus two more for some friends due in March)
since shortly after Christmas. Obviously my time has been spent elsewhere,
but there WILL be homemade clothes in her future (and probably matching ones with Aria!).
Happy one month, baby girl! It has been an exciting (and exhausting) month so far.


1 comment:
I love her already!!! I hope it will somehow magically work out that you can come in the spring!! Love you guys! ❤❤❤
Post a Comment