Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Skyline Luge

Our friend Shana likes to host costume parties.  First it was a Firefly Shindig, last year was Once Upon a Time, and last weekend was a video game theme at the Skyline Luge, for some real life Mario Kart!  Aaron was Waluigi, MaryAnn was Toad and Aria was Princess Peach.  I was the only non-Mario character in the group as Vanellope from Wreck-It Ralph, because I already had the costume and she's a racer!


Up the ski-lift to get to the top of the hill
for a gorgeous view!

And then a long, fun ride down!
Aria loved it, and kept pushing to go faster and faster.
Aaron and I went down three times each, while Aria went five!

A quick video of my ride!  (It was really closer to 5-6 minutes.)

Our whole group.  Afterwards we went back to Shana's for a barbecue and games.
Aaron ended up cooking all the meat, but the BBQ was not getting hot. 
He got creative and used their outdoor fireplace instead!


Making the Costumes
Waluigi: We didn't have time to find overalls, so I sewed denim onto a t-shirt.  I also tried my hand at covering buttons for the first time.  The hat was a little tricky - I did something similar to this tutorial, but made my own pattern piece and sewed it to a visor.  And for Toad: I looked at this tutorial for the hat, made up the vest entirely on my own, and slightly modified  these booties.  I prefer making clothes that get more regular wear, but it is a lot of fun making costumes too!

2 comments:

Lalainia said...

What a fun party! Great costumes Mindy - although MaryAnn doesn't look very impressed with hers. He he!

Kaththea said...

You did such a nice job on the costumes. It looks like a really fun day.