Wednesday, November 4, 2009

cupcake recipes

Trina suggested that I get some people to try out the recipes to see if they are worth making for the wedding. Sounds like a good idea, and it's another excuse for a post on the blog :)

Chocolate: I've got a lady from church who makes some fabulous Oreo cupcakes, so I haven't even looked for any chocolate cupcake recipes. She offered to help out with the wedding when I saw her in August, but I still need to confirm with her.

Peppermint: I'm not much of a baker, so anything that includes a pre-made cake mix is good for me - here's a recipe for peppermint cupcakes. Here's another recipe from scratch, but it also includes a recipe for peppermint frosting.

Pumpkin: I've found several pumpkin recipes. This one is probably my favorite, simply because of the dulce de leche frosting that comes with! Or there's the very simple method that will be more likely to happen - but we could always add the yummy frosting (and filling!) to fancy it up.

Gingerbread: Good old Martha Stewart provides the gingerbread recipe. I was thinking about a cream cheese frosting for that, but Aaron doesn't care for cream cheese (or chocolate, but how could we have passed that up?) so we'll go with a cinnamon buttercream frosting instead.

Maple Walnut: I originally wanted something with maple, as a nod to Canada, but when Mom went out and picked 50 pounds of walnuts, I figured we could use up some of those along with. Even if I went with a straight maple cupcake I could sprinkle walnuts on top. OR I could try a walnut cupcake with maple buttercream frosting, again with a sprinkling of walnut on top.

2 comments:

treen said...

Uh, yeah. With this many options, I DEFINITELY think you need to do some testing before the wedding, the sooner the better, since it's getting kind of close!

I, of course, like anything peppermint. Whether you wanted to make these for the wedding or not, I'd still try that out. The missionaries are always pleased to be my guinea pigs. (They scarfed down my from-scratch banana cream pie last night. It was a trial run for Thanksgiving.)

I've never heard of pumpkin put with dulce de leche ... and you'd really need to figure out how to do a cupcake filling! I predict a mess on the first batch until you figure out the method!

The cinnamon frosting for the gingerbread makes me wonder a little. It sounds like the combination would work, but the "cinnamon buttercream" frosting gives me pause.

And yeah - definitely test maple or walnut cupcakes. I understand your reasoning, but those are definitely different!

Mindy Sebastian said...

Filing cupcakes looks to be pretty easy, actually. There's a link on the pumpkin/dulce de leche recipe. AND, Trina, I'm not making all of these myself! I'm having OTHER people make them for me! This will not be another sugar cookie incident. As for the cinnamon buttercream, I had a tough time finding a cinnamon anything frosting - buttercream is what we grew up with, and I know I like that!