Someone brought my dress over to the church, and instead of letting me go somewhere for a bite to eat (since Aaron's vehicle was in the shop for the day, we couldn't go ourselves), someone had to bring lunch to me. I was starving and getting a headache - not exactly the way to start a reception. Food was delivered, and I was a happy bride once again.

We had a much better turn out at this reception compared to the one in Oregon. The weather was beautiful and it was on the weekend. There were a handful of people from church, several of Aaron's friends, and some of his aunts, uncles and cousins. It was very nice to see some of his ball team there. It was nice and relaxed and we all enjoyed visiting with each other.


Aaron's sister Taera put together a slide show for us. It was long with TONS of pictures. Very thoughtful of her. Aaron's Mom read us her poem (which I still need a copy of), Aaron's Dad sang us a song he wrote a number of years ago, and Aaron's brother Nathan played us a song on the guitar. It was an entertaining afternoon of music and words.


Lots of pictures, talking, food, hot chocolate, cake .. it was just a lot of fun. I felt very accepted into Aaron's family and friends. His grandmother was very sweet, and welcomed me into the family. I like having a grandmother again.

There was one extra little thing that made the afternoon go well - my shoes got left at the house. Hooray for not having to wear heels for a number of hours! My boots kept my toes warm and my feet much more comfortable. And they made for fun pictures too.

As we started to clean up that evening, with the help of most of the family members, someone asked what to do with the centerpieces. Take them home! I've been dealing with those things for months now, and what am I going to do with sixty boxes? And just like that they disappeared - Grandma took quite a few, along with Melinda, Jenn, and a couple of the aunts as well! They were very excited to have wrapping done already for next year .. or they make great storage for ornaments and other decorations. Those were probably the most practical wedding favors any of them have ever received!
After a speedy clean up, a group of us went over to the Pfanntastic Pannenkoek Haus - a Dutch restaurant that Aaron had taken me to for Valentine's Day last year. Several people had never been there before, and everyone LOVED it. Amazing food, great conversation. It was a good wrap up to all the festivities. Poor little Keith though couldn't make it anymore, and he crashed out shortly after we arrived.


It didn't take long after getting home that Aaron and I busted out all the presents. We took the time to read all the notes first - a lot more sentimental ones this time. Then all the cards. And finally the pile of presents. I think we've got enough tissue paper to last us a while. We got a fair number of gift cards, and a handful of checks. Lots of kitchen things. Gotta say though, we were most surprised (and grateful) for the gift from Aaron's ball coach - a fellow American (from New York). He gave us $300. Half in Canadian bills, and half in American. Wow. He is going to get one impressive thank you card from us!
2 comments:
I'm glad you get along with your in-laws. That's important, and very hard when you don't!
glad it was such a good day for you two!
Post a Comment