We get a lot of winter and snow up here, and I refuse to hide inside for six months. Good thing Aaron decided to teach me how to cross-country ski this year! We did our first run at Nana's house on Christmas Day - just me and him, nice and flat with the tiniest of slopes. I've learned I hate being out of control, so sliding downhill at all is not my favorite, but it must be done. I only fell a handful of times in my half dozen laps around the pond.
Our second time out was at a golf course about 10 minutes away from our house. Aria's first time. I stood petrified at a tiny slope for at least 20 minutes. Aria and I fell a lot, but we were out there and we were trying.
Once or twice and we're ready to go, right? The next time we drove all the way out to Kananaskis Country and skied at least 5km. The majority of it was wonderfully flat, perfect for us beginners, but there was a huge hill (gentle slope but very long) that we went up and down - and where I fell to keep from running into Aria. We both got better at hills, but it still isn't my favorite. Aria did amazing and while she complained a bit (especially when she fell) she said she was happy she went when we were done.
Aaron gets to pull MaryAnn in the exact same sled he rode in as a baby.
There was another trip to the golf course in there somewhere, this time with Grandpa (on skis) and Wanda (on snowshoes). Aria and I made it around the entire course this time, and while I hesitated at a small hill I did make it down without taking off my skis. I need to work on my speed and stop being scared of the hills.
Next up, heading out on some trails with Nana and Papa (I can't remember the name of the place, but it was somewhere nearish their house). There were some big hills that Aria and I had to walk down, and we struggled getting Aria's skis back on, but we keep getting better. When we were all done with the loop Papa and I stayed with the girls while Aaron and Nana did the loop again, in about a quarter of the time! Back at Nana and Papa's house that same weekend I did a few more laps around the pond again. It's a nice little workout!
Our last run of the season was in Bragg Creek with Grandpa. There were some big ups and downs - Aria and I had to practice our side-stepping to get up a nasty hill. I freaked out at a downhill but went down it anyway and fell at the bottom - but I DID IT. After our loop we found a short "bunny trail" that I went on three or four times because it was finally something my level and I could feel confident skiing it. Then snacks for me and the girls in the van while Aaron and Grandpa got to go on some more difficult trails.
It's hard to be a beginner at this age, but I'm glad we got out of the house to enjoy the beautiful winter. Aria was certainly better at it than I was, but tired out quicker than I did. As a bonus, her ice-skating improved a lot!


No comments:
Post a Comment