Thursday, July 1, 2010

setting records

This morning we went to the ward's annual Canada Day breakfast. Aaron helped cook up the scrambled eggs, and when the 30 dozen eggs were used up, got to do a few pancakes while waiting for more eggs to arrive. I got to mix up the orange juice - a mixture of flavored crystals, water, and real orange juice. Tasted pretty good.

Anyway, while eating breakfast I ended up talking to the Relief Society president. She asked about Aaron's job situation, reminding us that we should let them know if we need to make a food order. I mentioned how much I would love to help out, but without my residency I can't do much. Selling art is good, but it's hard to keep a steady clientele. She has seen my work and knows I'm quite talented, but was hesitant in asking me to do anything for her because I'm technically not legal to work in Canada. Her husband thought that she was being silly, but she stuck to her guns. She asked about prices anyway, and after a brief chat with her husband, came to me with a proposition. 11x14 colored pencil portrait of the two of them, to be done after my residency comes through, so her conscience is settled. But she'll pay me now, when we need the help. Pay me $500.

......................... Say what?! Just a few weeks ago I sold my (up to then) most expensive painting for $250. And now I've DOUBLED that record! (Well, I did do the book for over $2000, but that was for nearly 50 individual pieces.) So now I have another six months (at least) to make my portrait skills worth $500. Should be fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! Congrats! That's so awesome...by the time you're allowed to work, you'll need to just set up a studio, word is going to travel!

Frank and Evelyn said...

I'll be excited to see the $500 art piece. Its about time you get paid wht you're worth.

Amanda Palmer said...

That is awesome!