Aaron works hard all day and I've got nothing better to do than be a good wife and have dinner on the table when he gets home. It doesn't happen every day, but I've gotten more and more comfortable in the kitchen and it has been fun finding new recipes and trying out new foods. Here are a few dishes I (or we) have made since having our own kitchen.
Potato Soup - Worked on this together, with lots of potatoes, carrots and celery. Hard to get a lot of flavor into it, so it was a little boring for me. Hearty though, and Aaron really liked it.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese - A twist on an old favorite, with the addition of bell peppers. They added a pop of flavor but became borderline overwhelming. Aaron doesn't like a whole lot of pasta, so I got a lot of leftovers. Tasty though.
Sugar Cookies - Tried and true and always loved.
Yam Brownies - Two batches made so far and have been very well accepted. We never tried anything else with the yam, so next time we'll try something savory instead of sweet.
Zucchini Fritters - Learned quickly that Aaron doesn't like anything with chunks of onion in it, which this does. I think the flavor melds with the zucchini nicely, but he wouldn't touch it.
Porcupine Balls - I'm still working on my meatball making skills, but the flavor was there. We ate them all up at dinner so Aaron didn't get any for his lunch.
Parmesan Potato Wedges - A huge hit. So much so that we've made them twice (and used up all of the potatoes). Super easy, with a simple flavor so it can go with a lot of different meals.
Apple Crisp - I can't seem to go wrong with desserts. Delicious.
Sausage and Cabbage - Our first experience with cabbage, and it was surprisingly good. Quick and easy too. But it does NOT make for good leftovers.
Minestrone - A little heavy on the cabbage (to use the rest of it up), but otherwise great. Makes a lot, so we were eating it for days, but was still tasty when reheated. Even better with a
sprinkling of Parmesan cheese on top.
Cake Mix Cookies - I made three different flavors for a ward activity that we didn't even go to, so I have no idea how they were received. Aaron really liked them though, and we took some extras to some friends, and they were gobbled right up. Super moist and EASY.
Rice Crispy Treats - Also for the activity. We had fun with the food coloring and played with layers. I don't know that either of us ate any of them though to see how tasted. An interesting
experience anyway, and remember to butter your hands.
Stuffed Bell Peppers - The meat was bad, so we'll have to try again sometime later. It's a pretty easy dish, especially if you have leftover rice.
Chinese Food - I don't even like Chinese food and this was pretty good - lychee pork and sweet and sour meatballs. We had fun making it together. Not suggested to do multiple sweet dishes together though. Aaron is better at making meatballs than I am.
Banana Bread - He won't eat bananas, but likes banana bread. Next time I need to bake it at a slightly lower temperature for a slightly longer time, because it was a touch doughy in the middle.
2 comments:
He doesn't like chunks of onion? Won't even try something with chunks of onion in it? Oooh, he just lost a few points there. If he wasn't a browncoat he'd be in deep trouble.
Oh sorry, he had a bite of the zuchinni, tasted the onions, and THEN wouldn't touch it. He did try it.
So he's turned down a few of the things I've made him, but he has yet to make something that I didn't like ... probably because he doesn't cook enough these days. :P
Post a Comment