Friday, March 19, 2010

I love food coloring

With Aaron's calling at church being part of the activities committee, we always get stuck in charge of the food (and are we surprised?). They decided to do a movie night, and someone is taking care of the popcorn, but we were asked to do the rest. We tossed around a few ideas, but with the numbers they were hoping for we had to go with something pretty easy. So we made rice crispy treats - a first for both of us. I'd say they turned out all right. We got creative and dyed the marshmallows different colors and then layered it all. Maybe next time we'll do even more colors.
I also decided to make a bunch of cake mix cookies. I had heard they were super easy to make, and they were right! Couldn't decide on a flavor, so we went with three - chocolate, rainbow chip, and golden (which I added pumpkin pie spice and applesauce to). We had bought frosting to put between the cookies and make little sandwiches. The chocolate ones were great without, and the spice ones didn't particularly need them either, so just the rainbow chip would get it. But we realized quickly that the cookies were all too big, and we wouldn't have many sandwiches too go around. So I did another batch, making the cookies quite small - I could fit 30 on a baking sheet this time. And they made the cutest little cookie sandwiches.


No comments: