Monday, March 8, 2010

jumping through hoops

Part of marrying a Canadian is having to deal with immigration. The government of Canada has to be very careful not to let sick, incapable or criminals into their country, so they make all prospective applicants jump through numerous hoops to prove they are worthy of living and working in the country. Here's a quick rundown of what is needed.

Forms: The majority of the application is a quarter-inch stack of paperwork to be filled out by both applicant (me) and sponsor (Aaron). There are five forms, which are:
  • In-Canada Application for Permanent Residence
  • Spouse/Common-law Partner Questionnaire
  • Application to Sponsor and Undertaking
  • Sponsorship Agreement
  • Sponsorship Evaluation
The first form is intensely comprehensive asking for all background information, including my work history, education history and all places I've lived since the age of 18. The next requires details of my relationship with Aaron, including a list of relatives that have met him. And pictures of trips we've taken together, as well as ones of the wedding ceremony and reception. I've got the pictures printed, and that form taken care of. The next two are fairly simple, and have already been printed off - we just need to sign in a couple of places. And the final form asks for financial and work information for Aaron, to prove that he can take care of me, and that I won't need government assistance while I'm here.

Photocopies: Because writing out all that information on every sheet of paper isn't enough, we have to have proof of everything. I've got a majority of this taken care of already.
  • Passport pages - biographical info, stamp of latest entry into Canada
  • Visitor visa
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport or birth certificate for Aaron
  • Marriage certificate
  • Divorce papers
Photographs: Similar to passport photos, only with even more rigid requirements. I'll be needing two to send in, and one to take to my medical exam.

Medical Exam: I guess there's still a chance that I could have TB, since I'm coming from a foreign country, so they'll have to be doing a chest x-ray. Possible blood tests, or whatever else the doctor decides to do. Perhaps this is so people don't try to come into the country for the health care?

Police Certificates: Fingerprints down at the police station here, to be mailed off to the FBI. I got the fingerprints done today, so after we get to the bank for a certified check, we'll get it in the mail and wait the possible 13 weeks for them to send the results back to me. Fingerprints: $25, background check: $18, knowing you aren't a criminal: priceless.

Proof of Income: Along with the forms, we also have to provide Aaron's most recent tax forms and a letter from his employer stating his period of employment, salary and regular hours per week.

Receipt of Payment: Either by credit card online or directly at the bank. Because the costs of photographs and medical exams and all of that isn't enough, we of course have to pay a processing fee, application fee and right of permanent residence fee. That's a total of $1040.

Document Checklist: Conveniently they provide a checklist of all the things you need to include in your application. I guess if you are capable of gathering it together without going insane, you can stay in the country. After you wait the six months for processing though.

1 comment:

Amanda Palmer said...

holy crap!!! good for you to get it all in process and nearly all done. That is a LOT to do! I loved when you said that knowing you're not a criminal is priceless. That gave me a big smile.