Friday, March 5, 2010

what really happened

So my plans for yesterday didn't actually come to fruition. Not exactly my fault though. I was up at the usual time - as Aaron leaves around seven - and got started with my day. I enjoyed another beautiful sunrise, and started my latest painting. I knew my chiro appointment was at 11:30, but the phone calls from Aaron's Dad started around 10...

"Did you want me to drop off the laundry now or later?"
"I'll be by in 10 minutes to drop off the rest of your laundry."
"Okay, I'm just around the corner, so meet me downstairs."
"I'm at Tim Horton's, what do you want to drink?"
"I'm just around the corner, so come downstairs."

That's five different phone calls in the span of forty minutes. My painting kept getting interrupted. We left around 10:45. Dr. Brad was running late, so I didn't see him until 12:30. And then, instead of taking me home, we had to meet some of his friends for lunch. It was at a "fantastic" Chinese buffet, which means nothing to me because I don't particularly care for Chinese food. And it felt like one long infomercial for the latest holistic approach to healing that they love. No, I don't believe it and no, I don't want to take part in it. Everything I do is wrong to these people - I may have food storage, but it's the "processed crap that's HORRIBLE for you" that the rest of us call wheat, rice, and oats. Apparently I have to buy a dehydrator and use fresh produce in the summer and make all my own food storage, or else I'll just die if something goes wrong. Thank you for the lecture as you're sitting there eating Chinese food!

I finally got home at just before 3 o'clock. And spent the next hour and a half painting, just finishing it up as Aaron walked in the door from work. We immediately headed right back out the door so he could deposit his first paycheck (WAHOO!), and get the address changed on his license and registration (which is a big deal up here, because they don't just give you a new little sticker for the new address like they do in the states). His new license will be here sometime next week.

While we were out and about, we decided to stop by IKEA. Aaron has a glass coffee table-top that he got from an old job a number of years ago, and finally wanted to get some legs for it. We looked at a builder's supply store and found nothing, so we figured IKEA would be a good possibility. We found some awesome red table legs and .... they're too big. So we'll return them today and see if they have anything smaller, or else the hunt will continue.

Aaron made us some experimental salmon for dinner, while I worked on posting the painting on my blog and talking to Tawnia online, we finished watching Stardust, and then headed to bed early. The kitchen is still a mess, I still can't find the last thing for the closet, and I definitely need to look up places to get fingerprinted for my residency stuff. (I have to mail the fingerprints back to the states ((which I also need an address for)) to get a background check and then wait for them to mail it back to me, and submit that with everything else for my residency. It's pretty time consuming, so I want to get it done soon.) The good news is, we did get a few more boxes out of the living room. And it sounds like we'll be couchless for only one more week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are like a breath of fresh air...so glad Aaron's finally out from under that suffocating wing (as Auntie Mae put it at the reception, welcome to my EX nightmare!) Best of luck, and you can always come camp out at my house if you need, if it's desperate call and I'll come get you!

You should be able to be printed and have the background check done at the police station, I'll check with a cop friend - Cst. Palyga works at 6 district (same parking lot as London Drugs on McLeod and Heritage). I know they do record checks but not sure about printing. Airport security does it too but I'm not sure they will for any reason other than getting your clearance pass :P and they're not usually very nice people there.

Mindy Sebastian said...

I made a few phone calls around yesterday and found that only downtown does printing regularly. Aaron had a few random bus tickets left over from something, so I'll probably use them and head up there next week. I get to mail them off to the FBI, which they say could take up to 18 weeks (insane!) to get back, so I want that done ASAP.

Amanda Palmer said...

Experimental salmon sounds...suspicious. How was it? As of yet, I have never made salmon, but I'd like to try.

Mindy Sebastian said...

I'm not a huge fan of fish, so it was only .... okay for me. Aaron enjoyed it alright. He did a mix of bell peppers and garlic and just pan fried the fillets in it all. Much more pizzaz than you'd normally find. He also added a bit too much oil to the pan, so it was oily .. an odd texture issue for me to get over. I ate it, but I won't be asking for it again.